Covering Tattoos With Makeup
The best tattoo cover ups are ideas which can be done in just minutes to disguise everything from small tattoos on your wrists to large ones on your back. Using professional techniques you can hide your favorite body art so well that no one will ever suspect you have that amazing design. Get smooth even looking skin for your wedding or hide your body art for that all important job interview. Using the best makeup tips with the right product makes all the difference. Here’s what you need to know.
Tattoo Coverup Ideas
Sometimes the best tattoo cover ups are the ones that can be done quickly with a minimum of effort. These are the easiest techniques to use when you need a quick way to disguise body art. They include clothing, jewelry and finally makeup.
- Clothing material should be opaque. If it’s transparent a flesh colored bandage may hide a small tattoo design.
- Large cuff jewelry works quickly for hiding wrist designs. It’s a fashion statement.
- Makeup artists use makeup concealers and airbrush makeup to hide tattoos so well that it’s difficult to tell where the design is.
The best way to get temporary coverage that will last all day is to use waterproof makeup along with professional makeup artist techniques. I’m going to tell you how to do that step-by-step.
Tattoo Coverups With Makeup
There is a simple way to do temporary tattoo cover ups using makeup. It doesn’t necessarily have to be special makeup either. Is your tattoo small one? If you have a small tattoo like a fairy tattoo on your arm or wrist and if you’re wearing a blouse that is transparent over an area that has a tattoo then there is a simple way to cover it:
Use an ordinary cosmetic concealer the same general color as your skin and then use powder to set it. If the tattoo is light enough in color you might also be able to use a full coverage foundation. Even though it will not match your skin, the transparent clothing over it will distract the eye. You might not even notice it. If that doesn’t do the trick then it’s time for professional methods.
Best Way To Cover A Tattoo
The pros use makeup that contains higher concentration of pigments and they cover the design in steps:
- The first step is to neutralize colors in the tattoo.
- Then recolor over the neutralizers to your skin tone.
- Finish making it look real by simulating texture and freckles.
Your best bet is to purchase a tattoo cover up kit that contains several shades of neutralizer. This way you can discover which colors work specifically with your skin tone. Remember that you can always add colors such as those offered by Ben Nye or Kryolan to your basic kit.
How To Cover Tattoos Step-by-Step
1. Clean your skin completely.
2. Use more than one shade of color. Several is fine. You need to block out the color with neutralizer. Let it dry.
3. Apply the base color that is closest to matching your skin with a sponge applicator. Apply all the way to the outline of your design. Take a dry sponge and feather the area slightly to blend outward.
4. When the area is dry take stipple sponge applicator and dip it in a lighter or darker color. Gently pat the area so that you have little “specks” of color, just like in your normal skin. If you have freckles, you can paint a few faux freckles on too. The idea is to match the texture of your skin.
5. Apply setting powder to the area. Excess powder can be lightly brushed off afterward. You can also used one of the sealer sprays designed especially for this purpose.
This isn’t a quick method – It’s a professional makeup technique for tattoo cover ups. However, if you practice it frequently, you’ll get to the point where it goes on quickly. It really is a matter of finding the right products and learning to use them effectively.
Covering tattoos for weddings and other special events might need to be done by a makeup artist skilled in the art. These professionals can do tattoo cover ups easily with airbrush makeup. They can also teach you how to cover your tattoos with simple makeup techniques.