“Achieving A Flawless Look”
Knowing how to apply foundation is one of the most important skills a makeup artist can develop. Professional makeup artists rely on this skill to fake a flawless complexion when the model doesn’t have one. Models are just like the rest of us and they deal with the same skin issues so their skin isn’t perfect, but it can be made to look that way. So can your skin. The techniques are not difficult to learn. There are just 5 steps. Here are the makeup tips to get it right every time.
Applying Foundation Makeup Tips
There three foundation makeup tips that are essential when learning how to apply foundation. You absolutely must use them before you even start to put the color on. If you do, you’ll find that you’ll be able to achieve a smoother finish.
- You must start with clean skin and apply hydration. Even after you clean your skin there may be traces of cosmetics or oil left. A quick wipe with a very gentle toner is necessary.
- Hydrate and moisturize the skin. To hydrate the eye area you may need to get rid of puffy eyes first. Then quickly moisturize and let it soak in a few seconds.
- Choose two foundation colors. Your normal color and one slightly darker. Having two foundation colors will also allow you to change the color of your foundation when the seasons change. Plus, you can use the darker shade for face contouring.
Makeup Tools To Apply Foundation
There are different methods for applying foundation. You can either use your fingers or use makeup tools and which one you choose will depend on what you find easiest for you. Start with your fingers and then branch out to brushes if this is your first time learning how to apply foundation. Finally, try one of the new airbrush foundations. I’ve listed these in the order of difficulty:
Fingers – Your hands and fingers “heat” the foundation and make it easier to glide across your skin. Make sure you wash your hands first and then pour a little of the product into your palm. Dot it on and blend one area of your face at time. Work from the center of your face outward.
Makeup Sponges – You definitely need to know how to apply foundation with a sponge. It enables you to blend well. The key here is to moisturize the sponge! It’s simple. Just take the sponge and apply one drop of moisturizer to it. It keeps your makeup from being absorbed and it helps it just glide across your skin.
Makeup Brushes – Oh, don’t you just love struggling with a brush? It’s easy to make a total mess with one unless you know this makeup artist trick – Use a small “C” stroke. Do not use wide strokes because they leave demarcation lines on your face. Work quickly and do the strokes side by side overlapping each other.
Spray On Foundation – The newest of the foundation products works wonderfully with the right makeup artist techniques. Make sure you get one that is sheer to begin with. Then spray from a distance. If you find that you need to blend it use, the makeup tip below:
Airbrush Makeup – An airbrush foundation product is the next step up if you’ve found that you like working with and wearing spray on foundation. There’s really not much difference, except that you can also use these with blush products and bronzers.
5 Steps To A Flawless Finish
Central to all these methods is how to take an ordinary liquid face makeup product and work it into a flawless makeup look. Read through them to find out how to apply foundation in five easy steps:
1. Start by preparing the face as called for above.
2. Find your best matching foundation and mix it. You can mix it on a little plate or the back of your hand, or the palm of your hand.
3. Here is the key to a great look, it’s a makeup artist trick. If you are blending with fingers, sponges, or brushes – push the makeup onto the skin and then blend quickly. This is similar to touching your skin with a little push and then quickly and lightly lifting away. This is the major difference between in how a makeup artist applies makeup and the way most people apply their makeup.
4. Once you have your face makeup on go back and apply concealer. Spot conceal around the eyes. Also spot conceal any redness. You can then blend a little more foundation if you feel you need to blend it better into your skin.
5. Do you want your makeup to last hours on end? That’s where powder comes in. Finish with a light dusting and add a touch of bronzer for a healthy look.
It’s not difficult to learn how to apply foundation flawlessly and you’ll be surprised at how quickly you master the skill. In fact, you’ll probably never apply makeup any other way once you see the incredible results you get with these makeup tips.